It’s always a little sad to me when I starting seeing the “back to school” signs and all the summer clothes on the “clearance” racks reminding me that this glorious season won’t last forever … but that’s ok it’s a good time to get in on some great deals on summer clothes.
Here are my tips for shopping the sale racks to make sure you’re getting the most out of your purchases.
- Buy items that are versatile, meaning you can wear them in multiple seasons by simply throwing on a sweater or jacket. This dress by Alice + Olivia is a great seasonal option, there are so many ways you can wear this piece and red is great all year round.
- Think long-term, it’s ok to buy a few pieces that you know are trends and won’t be around long but since it’s late in the season anyway I suggest buying clothes that you know will last you a few seasons. A denim jacket is a constant in my wardrobe, you can wear it year round and there are so many unique styles to choose from so you don’t get bored. I love this one from Generation Love. The ruffles help give it more of a feminine vibe.
- Buy neutrals. These will last season to season and never go out of style.
4. Be careful of trendy patterns. For example, palm print is super on trend right now but in the next few seasons this design will be thought of as a bit “passe”. So think ahead. I love palm print and if you want to rock the trend go for it! But remember it will probably end up at the consignment shop next summer.
5. Don’t go too crazy! It’s easy to see the amazing mark downs and want to buy everything. Keep in mind that fashion is one of the most wasteful industries. As much as I love fast fashion and believe me, I need to keep myself from buying out Saks when we have super mark downs, but I have to remember it’s extremely wasteful. Especially when much of it might get worn once or never. Just because it’s on sale doesn’t mean you have to buy it.
Have you found any great bargains recently?
Thanks for reading!