Zendaya as featured in InStyle Magazine.
I had a conversation with my family last week about the importance of being well dressed, or simply dressed appropriately for the occasion. When I say “occasion” it could mean going to a wedding, heading to the office or simply going to the gym.
The conversation came up when my husband was frustrated that my kids wear gym shorts to school everyday. He wants them to take a little more pride in their dress and wear something a bit nicer. I understand his point of view, although being in grade school they have gym class, recess and come home to immediately run around in the dirt outside. So I really have no problem with the way they dress but it was good to have to conversation and really start instilling in them the value of being well dressed.
The way we dress effects so much of our lives, how others perceive us to how we perform at work and any other activity we partake in. A good example is my experience at work yesterday. I dressed appropriately, however when I got to Saks, where I work as a stylist, I noticed my shirt was very wrinkled. It made me feel extremely unkempt, uncomfortable and confident. Luckily I have a steamer at my job but if I didn’t have that option I would have felt sloppy and not ready to take on the world. Which is how everyone needs to feel when they go to work no matter what you do. Some of you may think this is silly, but the way we look affects the way we feel and how we perform.
Here are a few tips for preparing yourself to look and feel your best on a daily basis:
- Arrange your closet in a way that helps you pick outfits quickly and efficiently. This involves color coordinating, hanging shirts pants and blazers separately. If you don’t have a big closet with separate sections you can do this by creating different sections from left to right and maybe getting different colored hangers for each category to help keep the organized. I also need assistance in the closet organizing area and will share any tips and tricks I come across with you all. Please share some of your!
- Daily planning. Prepare your outfit the night before. When I do this it makes my morning so much easier! Another tip: make sure it’s ironed!
- Weekly planning. Think about what your doing in your week ahead and be sure all the clothing and accessories you will be needing are dry cleaned, ironed, washed etc…
- Life planning. Think about all the activities you do or perhaps want to do. Whether you’re working, brunching, sweating… you need to dress how you want to feel during these activities. Yes, even at the gym! When I workout in grungy clothes because that all that is clean, I don’t feel or perform my best.
- Do your research. Unsure what it means to dress well? As a stylist I know this is an ever evolving art form. You may think that sounds dramatic, but to me it’s an art and that’s why I love it. It’s a wonderful way to express yourself and be creative. Flip through the pages of Vogue or InStyle to get some ideas on what’s current and stylish. Maybe ask a friend who’s style you admire to give you some tips. If you want my help email me for a free consultation: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are your tips for looking and feeling your best?